Holger Berger wrote:
> Project proposal: 64k kernel project
>
> I propose a 64k kernel project. This project should contribute and
> support on an on-going basis:
>
> - A SPARC kernel which uses 64k pages instead of 8k pages ("dwarf
> pages") as default page size. The system should no longer use or
> support the usage of 8k pages
> - Necessary modifications to kernel modules to support the 64k page
> size mode (notable usage of hard coded 8k page size exists for example
> in the UFS module)
> - Necessary modifications to user land tools in ON to support the
> kernel 64k page size mode
> - Create the tools necessary to create, maintain and profile the
> kernel performance.
>
> The leaders initially will be Knut Reinert and myself.
>
> This project proposal has one (large) problem: We can only start this
> project if Sun is willing to contribute the changes of their own
> (abandoned) 64k kernel project - is this possible?

 If work was done toward a 64k kernel some time back it would be
interesting to see the result of that work, however this project just
sounds cursed from the get-go and a possible drain on resources.  A
definitely kool project but not one that I think should be in or around
NV.  Phrases like "should no longer support" are a total non-starter.

-1.

benr.