On 10/30/06, Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Project Proposal: Country/Language Portals for opensolaris.org

I propose a project on opensolaris.org for the creation of
country/language portals for the website. Having opensolaris.org talk in
a variety of languages is critical for engaging developers in non
English-speaking regions of the world. I will help lead the effort
initially, but I'm very much seeking additional leaders who have more
expertise than I have. Which shouldn't be difficult, actually. We've
been having some initial conversations for a couple of weeks internally
and on the Internationalization & Localization Community discuss list:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=15327&tstart=0

In short, the OpenSolaris website team will provide infrastructure
access to top level domains (jp.opensolaris.org, cn.opensolaris.org,
etc) for the purpose of translating the site, and the Country/Language
Portal Project will create and manage the process of who translates and
maintains the site via the various portals. There is already significant
interest from Japan, Korea, and India, so if you'd like to get involved
please stay tuned for our project opening. For more background, see the
thread above. The conversation there is ongoing, and your participation
is most welcome.

I'm seeking seconds for the proposal, community participation in the
project, and an endorsement from the leaders of the Internationalization
& Localization Community. I'd like to tie the project as closely to that
community as possible and use their lists as well. This only makes sense
since the community members on those lists have the most expertise and
interest in this area. So, for now, all we need is a project space.
We'll have conversations on i18n-discuss to get going, and when
individual portals are ready they can split off into existing lists
within that community. If we have to create new lists, we can certainly
do so when the need arises.

That's it.

Jim
--
+1
can we do this as a wiki? that should lower the entry barrier for contributors

nacho