UNIX admin wrote:
If you maintain this sort of mentality, then
OpenSolaris will never be a separate entity. This is exactly the sort of thought we need to get away from.

BTW Steve, as a person to person, this little snippet really got to me.

For 15 years I've lived on Sun and Solaris, "ate, breathed, dreamt and drank
it", one might put it so, and everything was OK.

I bled in the trenches between the big iron E10Ks and small U5s running Solaris
day and night, and we were Sun's community -- Solaris community.

Now all of a sudden associating Solaris -- most notably OpenSolaris -- is not
what we want, now it's bad, in the way, out of favor, not in fashion, and all
because we are trying to get more visibility and lure the Linux crowd over to
develop software on and for Solaris.

That's great, I'm all for it, but what's with those of us that still remember what Solaris *was*
and what OpenSolaris *is* today? I guess we're not "fashionable" any more. I mean,
Solaris vs. OpenSolaris is starting to sound like a crusade. Now the fashion has changed, so some
things are on the "forbidden list". Great.

Well, that really got to me. Thanks Steve.

I challenge you to read through my emails again and point out to me where I say Solaris is bad, in the way, out of favour, or not in fashion.

My argument to you was to point out to you the distinction between OpenSolaris and Solaris.

It's not a crusade, it's just plain correctness. Sun should not control OpenSolaris. If it does, then we've done this all wrong.

-steve

--
stephen lau // [EMAIL PROTECTED] | 650.786.0845 | http://whacked.net
opensolaris // solaris kernel development