UNIX admin wrote:
I think we need to point out to our Linux friends
 that once they do this
hat will will pollute the root directory with crud.
 Things like the
bash_history and if they actually login vie
dtlogin/gdm or whatever that
they will really bork it up wwith junk.

That's why I think that just setting the home
 directory for root to /root
s fine for 99.99998762% of things.  Except vipw of
course and who knows
what else breaks.

Also .. I think that there is a PSARC/ARC/LARK/BARK
 ( or whatever its
alled ?  RFE ? ) thing filed to allow /root to be the
home for root by
default.

You are of course free to file an RFE, but I object to root's home directory
being /root very, very strongly.

Just as you claim that .files in root's home directory (/) are "junk" I see no
problem with that, and do not consider them to be junk.

What would one be doing running stuff that creates /.files in the first place?
We all know we're not supposed to do that. And if /root is supposed to
alleviate that somehow, well, that's a crutch. In that case we need to educate
our users better.

Anyways, I will be the first and foremost to vehemently object to /root.

There may be reasons other than aesthetics to the switch to /root.
Not too long ago, I was involved in a cleanup effort where an obscure bug in usermod changed ownership for every file in root's home directory (Not on Solaris, but a competitor's UNIX variant). See where /root might actually be a good thing ?

John