On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, noel wrote:
Hmm, I was just checking out solaris cuz sun says its the most secure os. But my real question is why people are leaving linux for a foreign environment like solaris. It seems that there is somewhat less software available for solaris. (I don't mind paying for software if it's what I'm looking for, so there might be commercial apps for solaris that I haven't come across).

This is a common mis-conception. Provided a "Linux" application uses common, POSIX interfaces the application will run on any operating system (which includes most modern UNIXes) that have those same, POSIX interfaces. The only applications that qualify as "Linux-only" are those applications that make use of various Linuxisms.

Solaris will run 99% of the applications that are available for Linux, like MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP, Apache2, gcc, Firefox, Mozilla, Evolution, XMMS, X-Chat, etc. etc.

Derek E. Lewis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://delewis.blogspot.com