Darren J Moffat wrote:
Cyril Plisko wrote:
[...]

> Oh, apologies for the room for ambiguity.
> It is DOS/Windows Extended partitions.
>
> [
> To be exact, the partition IDS are :
> EXTDOS - Systid 5
> FDISK_EXTLBA - Systid 15
> ]

So why should we be installing an OpenSolaris distribution in to a
partition type that belongs to DOS/Windows ?

That is not entirely correct. Extended partition, IIRC, allows you
to break the limit of 4 primary partition per disk. Once the extended
partition is created another 4 partitions can be nested inside it.
And so on. Think Russian dolls.

Yes but the partition IDs that this project is suggesting be used are explicitly tagged as being for DOS or Windows.

  Just to clarify more:

A partition tagged with EXTDOS or EXTLBA will contain another partition table. This is called an EBR - Extended Boot Record. This in turn can contain upto 4 slots just like the MBR. So we'd be able to define a partition entry of type Solaris2 in one slot and allocate space to it. The convention is to use the first slot for an actual partition and use the second slot to point to another Extended partition containing another EBR - Russian Dolls, Linked
  List ...

Regards,
Moinak.

There are also Linux Extended (85) partitions as well, so why not (ab)use those too ?

There are several other values tagged as being "extended" partitions, if the list I'm looking at is upto date there at at least another 8 in addition to the two DOS/Windows ones listed above that the Linux Extended one.

Lets look at this the other way would it be acceptable for some version of Windows or Linux to install itself into a slice in a Solaris VTOC inside a Solaris tagged fdisk partition ?