Darren J Moffat wrote:

> Pavan Chandrashekar - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>
>> Darren J Moffat wrote:

>> Ok.
>> Extended partitions is not new to OpenSolaris. PCFS handles it
>> internally.
>

> That is completely different.  The current support is ONLY for reading
> DOS/Windows (ie FAT based) filesystems.
>
>> It is convenient to have them supported in OpenSolaris. Most other
>> OSes support it. It is part of the fdisk partitioning scheme.
>

> I have no objection to having OpenSolaris (or Solaris for that matter)
> support a properly layered partitioning system so that the knowledge
> of what is a "primary" vs an "extended" DOS/Windows partition is not
> part of the filesystem driver.
>
> No objection what so ever.
>
> However that is NOT how you are presenting this project, it is being
> presented as having the ability to install an OpenSolaris distro into
> a DOS/Windows fdisk partition.
>
> If we look at the orginal proposal again:
>
>> The aim of the project is to enable the installation and booting
>> of OpenSolaris from an extended partition.
>

> This is the bit I have issue with.
>
>> This project will be delivered in multiple phases. The first phase is
>> to introduce all OS changes necessary to support booting from and
>> managing extended partitions on OpenSolaris. Here are the list of
>> changes for phase 1 :
>>
>> 1. Driver Changes ( cmlb : modification)
>> 2. Tools to perform partitioning (fdisk, format : modification)
>> 3. Library to provide partitioning support (libfdisk : new)
>

> I have no really issue with any of that providing:
>
> --->>   a) this is SPARC and x86  <<---

Darren, so far so good.
But isn't your point a bit ridiculous here (plus unfair and harming a
promising project, that would undoubtedly remove a barrier for certain
"aliens" to give OpenSolaris a very first try on their x86/x64 box[es]) ?

Striving to keep the different ISAs in sync is excellent, but one has to
stay realistic.

Don't forget the opposite byte orders:
sparc MSB
x86/x64 LSB
pccle LSB (2.5.1  and 2.6beta)
ppc MSB (In 1995 Sun-Labs internal bige. 2.6 study / now the upcoming
Polaris)

For example, can you mount sparc-ufs on x86/x64 ??  --->>  NO
Vise versa --->> NO
Not even readonly.
Only ZFS can be moved.

So where is the compatibility you are calling for?

Okay, I was talking about filesystems, not partitions.
But I also never saw a sparc system recognizing a x86's VTOC, nor the
other way around (correct me if I'm wrong).
(same for 2.5.1ppc ! )
If we are talking about data structures like linked lists here, byte
order differences slightly complicate the situation.

Only  hdds containing a primary partition with fat12, fat16 or fat32 can
be mounted on a SPARC  (via the pcfs driver that properly interprets the
partition table / no VTOC of course).

The other question is, admit it: Who demands the functionality offered
by the proposed "OpenSolaris on extended partitions" project on SPARC ??

###

I welcome Pavan's project, because I do know, that most x86-folks out
there are either using WinNT or LinUX, unfortunately  :-(
(Most of the time _both_, but not Solaris_x86.)
Just read this: Sun Microsystems, the begrudging Linux vendor
http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1238478,00.html

Solaris has to be more flexible in order to bring outsiders to giving it
a first try: linUX can even be installed into a plain WinDOwS9x file!
100 people may do that, and 5 of them might completely switch over after
having had their first linUX experience.
One out of 100 is now a valuable kernel coder and potentially
contributes a lot.

Why would someone be against that so called "user friendliness"?
Being against this proposal means actively harming Solaris' prevalence.

--
Martin Boochnig