UNIX admin wrote:
Perhaps engineering resources that went into making OpenSolaris GCC-friendly would have been better spent porting SS10 to other platforms? Were I the manager that had the power to decide, I would have certainly pushed in that direction, not the other way around.

Both the original SPARC 64 bit port and the amd64 bit port
were started with gcc.  Solaris 10's x64 binaries are
all compiled with the bundled gcc, as the Studio compilers
weren't product quality soon enough during development.

Being able to compile with gcc means that someone can
much more readily port to another architectures, such as PPC
or strongarm or ...

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts