Deepak Bhatia wrote:

I am working on a project related to the dynamic linker on Solaris.

You have asked a number of rudimentary questions in regards this area
of Solaris on this alias, and I have suggested that you target your
questions to [EMAIL PROTECTED], which is a more appropriate
alias for link-editor issues.

This involves understanding the code from

/usr/src/cmd/sgs/rtld/ directory.

When I create an ELF File on my i386 machine with Solaris Nevada
and execute the code

./ld.so.1 a.out

I am not able to reach the file a.out.c which it looks like is used to
handle
old a.out (Assembler OUTput) file.

Please confirm if this is true or not.

There are a number of files under rtld/common with the name "a.out".
These files are responsible for processing old, 4.x, AOUT files.
These are the files generated by the operating system that existed
*before* Solaris came to life (please excuse those in marketing who
decided to rename this old release Solaris 1).

AOUT files are *not* produced by todays Solaris - never have been,
never will be.  The runtime linkers capability to run old AOUT
files was designed to allow a migration path for 4.x customers to
the *new* Solaris.

Given that we're now several years into the *new* Solars :-), I have
on my list of things to do, the EOL of all this AOUT technology.  I
find it hard to believe that anyone still expects a 4.x binary to
run on Solaris (although Sun had a few squirreled away up until a
couple of years ago).

So, if you are playing with the runtime linker, I wouldn't expect you
to ever call the code in a.out.c - look at elf.c instead.

--
Rod