Peter Buckingham wrote:

Let me give some more details about Honeycomb. It is a Solaris appliance. We have modified solaris to run as a ramdisk image, we have our own clustering enviroment running on our hardware (typically a 16 way cluster), we have a self-healing software stack running on this appliance running (mainly) java.

We have a standard SDK and API interface to this appliance. We'd like to make it easier for open source development to work with a Honeycomb storage backend.

At the moment we can provide some information about Honeycomb, we will look at providing the SDK/API and emulator for development. The idea is then to try to work with the community to provide a _useful_ opensourcing of the Honeycomb software stack.

I agree with Steve about this - unless you are going to release some code as open source, the project doesn't belong on opensolaris.org. A SDK and API isn't sufficient. Hell, we have released the Solaris APIs for as long as Solaris has existed, in the form of header files and manpages but that most assuredly didn't make Solaris open source.

--
Alan Burlison