On 30-Jan-07, at 8:23 PM, Jim Grisanzio wrote:

Dennis Clarke wrote:

So I have been watching this for a while and I think that I have an opinon with at least some value. In my opinion this feels like a marketing idea from the hallways of the same people that put "Java" in front of everything. Its the latest fad to sell the proect to the mad rush of people that are NOT joining in and NOT getting involved. The mad rush of people that did NOT arrive and proclaim the beauty and brilliance of the UNIX operating system. Back in 2005 we were not looking at the GPL which would have been a viable license also. Why? What were the reasons for not going GPL? Why are we now discussing GPLv3 as another license to slap on top of OpenSolaris? Let's fast forward two more years and if we have another mad rush of people NOT joining this project what then? Another marketting fix and we rename this to the Java Enterprise OpenSolaris project with Sun Community Source License ( SCSL ) license added and on and on we go trying to fix something.

Are you saying we are not growing fast enough?

Jim

I didn't get that expression that he was saying anything of the sort....

I parsed dennis' gripes as being more an expression that instead of fixing the *real* problems in opensolaris, Sun's just license jumping... it's less work to relicense the code & hope Stallman et. al endorse us than it is to fix the code contribution method, or rewrite (or otherwise open) libc_i18n.a & the rest of closed_bins , or any other number of things wrong with the OpenSol project that can be fixed given the engineering, marketing & legal muscle of SUNW, should they chose to do it.

-John