S Destika wrote:
[b]Do not reply to me, I read the forums - my email address is invalid and I do
feel bad I did nothing to fix it. [/b]

It was as easy to predict more than a year ago as it is today. In one of my
posts I expressed the below  (Oct 11, 2005) for which I got flamed more than
once -
<Quote>
Let Sun create a workable, scalable development model around (Open)Solaris first. I pity the words
"request" "sponsor" "ask" above. It's going in the same direction as
OpenOffice.org - it's working but only with Sun employees doing the major heavy lifting, community presence
is not that big and thus the whole thing doesn't scale upto the point where it should ideally...
</Quote>

Oh, I think request-sponsor has been as successful as it could have been given the circumstances. We needed a process to engage people but we launched with pretty much zero infrastructure for open development. We did what we could with what we had, and I view that as a good thing. So, think of it just as a first step (albeit a big, long one :)). Also, the code contributors have contributed a significant amount and have earned substantial credibility as a result. Taking too long? Yep. But we are at least moving in the right direction. If I didn't believe it, I wouldn't defend it publically because I have confidence in the engineers working these issues.

I feel sad that more than a year later OpenSolaris development is still closed, bug reports are still vague at the best and for the people to contribute they have to make sure they don't kill their urge and enthusiasm before they can get a change or two in.

No need to feel sad. It's getting fixed. It's true that many things are still internal (guilty as charged), but I think you may be going a bit far characterizing our intent. We are not making people go away. We screw up occasionally, but please understand that it's not intentional. People who intentionally want do do harm to the OpenSolaris community wouldn't survive on these lists.

As a result, people don't feel like caring for OpenSolaris, if they do, Sun
makes sure they go away by doing so much red taping, and the closed development
model (no design/implementation discussions, no crisp, flaming hot discussions
about how some part of code sucks and how it could be made to not suck etc.)
means people do not whet their appetite and gather virtually no interest in the
internals of OpenSolaris.

Some, don't care, sure, but many /do/ care and their numbers are growing. There will be an OpenSolaris Day in India in a month or so, and the numbers look extremely impressive. Sun runs the OpenSolaris Days, granted, but there is a German OpenSolaris developer conference coming shortly that was organized entirely outside Sun. And there was a lot of interest in China and Korea as well for OpenSolaris Days.

Also, I just checked the Jive discussion forums. Since opening 20 months ago, the project's lists/forums have generated 10,114,589 total views, 7,218,833 unique visitors, 21,033 threads, and 81,874 messages. That's not bad for 20 months of work, don't you think? January was our biggest month across the board for OpenSolaris conversations, and it was our biggest month for registrations since launch as well. And many of these conversations are pretty substantial. There are 177 community lists now as well. So, none of that is development, per say, but it does demonstrate that very many people care.

The OpenSolaris engineering team is aware -- painfully -- of the things that need fixing on the project. Trust me on that. :) We'll get there.

Jim

Classic example of how not to run an open source project.