> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 08:37 pm, Artem
> Kachitchkine wrote:
> > Do the community contributors feel at home here?
>
> I don't think so. I see Sun's process as being very
> intimidating. While many
> of the other open source communities are bold,
> they're somehow more
> welcoming. I see OpenSolaris as being intimidating
> for the average community
> member.

I'm sure one thing that intimidates some would be the contributor agreement.
But, quite frankly, that's because most projects don't actually care about how
legal they are. I suspect many projects could be ripped to shreds if proper IP
ownership were actually enforced. So, while I think it intimidates people, I
think it is absolutely necessary and needed to have one.

The testing process is also difficult at best at the moment since you need to
test for x86 and SPARC, and let's face it, most folks have an x86 box, not a
SPARC box.

> bugster is not open, the ARC cases have only been
> available as of recent I
> believe, and there is still no source code
> management.
>
> Would you have the warm fuzzies in those conditions?
>
> --
>
> Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
> Advocate of insourcing at Sun - hire people that care
> about our company!

I know the chances of Bugster ever being truly open are unlikely due to privacy
concerns and legal considerations with SUN's Customer base (entirely valid I
might add). Source code management, a streamlined integration process, and the
final minimum necessary source pieces for someone to build their own
distribution would be a huge boon in my view.

-Shawn