* Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-01-31 02:53]:
> Peter Buckingham wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Honeycomb is a unique archival storage product developed within Sun. It
> >is built upon a clustered system and provides strong reliability
> >guarantees for it's data storage (Write-Once, Read Many) and metadata.
> >
> >We (the development team) would like to start to provide information
> >about the system. The intention is to make it significantly easier for
> >people to start developing applications with Honeycomb in mind and to be
> >able work with people on developing Solaris appliances.
> >
> >The intention is to initially put up the whitepaper and some
> >documentation to be followed by the SDK and Honeycomb emulator.
>
> What about source code ?  I think for this to be an OpenSolaris project
> I'd want to see source.  OpenSolaris isn't a general Sun site for all stuff.
>
> Unless you are going to provide the source code for Honeycomb under an
> OSI approved license *and* the intent is this becomes part of
> OpenSolaris distributions then it is '-1' from me.  This isn't the
> appropriate hosting site.

  Doesn't an OpenSolaris-based appliance constitute a distribution in
  some form?  I agree with the "must have source" bit, but I think if
  you mean that all projects must target one or more of {Belenix,
  Martux, Nexenta, Schillix, Solaris}, then I believe that to be too
  severe.

  I am hoping that the Appliance Core Contributors will have some
  feedback for this discussion in a week or two.

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/