> > x86 hardware support has been steadily improving
> over
> > the last couple of
> > years and the rate of improvement has accelerated
> in
> > the past year.  I
> > have only failed to install on one x64 system (and
> > have done a lot of
> > installs) and that was an HP DL380.
> >
> > So the answer is x86 hardware support is being
> very
> > actively fixed.
>
> Well - Sigh. I am saying that the rate at which
> things (every thing where Sun doesn't have active
> business interest but community can grow and benefit
> from it) are improving is too excruciatingly slow
> compared to what happens with other Open OSes and we
> got to figure out  a way to speed it up and the only
> way is to involve the community actively.

AFAIK, Sun doesn't _make_ any laptops (although I think they
resell a Tadpole or somesuch).  Yet there's been a lot of
laptop support added (although there's still lots more to do).

There is simply no way to look at each individual thing that's
been done already and say it was only done to make $$ for Sun.

Now obviously they want to make $$ somewhere, or they won't
be around forever.  But I think just maybe they've realized that
mindshare now pays off in $$ later.