UNIX admin wrote:

I am very glad to hear such a deep thought. Now
return to the original
question: with so many hardware not supported by
Solaris, what is the
solution ?

The solution is to remedy the cause (proactive) and not try to fix the effect
(reactive):

lobby the hardware vendors to support Solaris with drivers.
that sounds nice, we have been doing it since 2003. However, the progress seems not big enough.

ASUS, Tyan, intel and hp (in some cases), Lexmark, NVidia and SysKonnect are
already on board; others should follow. But the end users must also lobby the
vendors to support Solaris directly with native kernel drivers, delivered as
pure System V packages.
So far I think we write drivers for Tyan, and we payed nVidia for driver.
As for intel, we just begin the cooperation and the detailed information
of who should take which responsibility is still not decided.
For others, asus, lexmark, sykonnect, can you provide more
information about the solaris drivers and hardware specs
they delivered ?

Thank you