Hi Freeman,
I have seen blogs talking about the opposite direction (I recall having read
some blog entry about moving X drivers into the kernel). However, with every
new build of Solaris Express, I get some good or bad surprise. The bad ones
usually have to do with new kernel modules that don't like my hardware and make
my machine hang on boot or thereafter. So to me it looks just great if the
kernel becomes really compact and changes seldom or never and new drivers are
added as SMF services running in userland. I don't know much about the
feasibility of this, but I have heard about others that tried.
If you are really going to carry out this project, I recommend you take a look
at this thesis: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jnherder/masters-thesis.php
It talks about some primitives that could be provided by the kernel so that it
handles high-level interrupts on behalf of user mode drivers. Direct hardware
access is, I think, the greatest difficulty of moving a driver out of kernel
space. Maybe you can have some inspiration on Minix's approach.
Good luck.

-- Douglas