Paul Durrant wrote:
On 3/13/07, John Plocher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Paul Durrant writes:
>>The current ON processes are just wrong for open source.

The ON development process forces developers to look beyond
the current confines of their project and understand/manage
the impact that their development choices have on others.

That's true of most parts of the process, yes. But as Paul says below, supplying Sun with hardware is not one of those parts (I'd be less concerned if the entity was actual an OpenSolaris entity, but it isn't. It's *one* distributor).

I agree, that there are testing requirements, and there should be. But I don't think "give Sun hardware" should be one of them, if anything it's Sun's responsibility to acquire said hardware via whatever means it chooses, not a requirement for the one *integrating* to gift it.

I don't see how giving h/w to Sun does this. I can see how that is
required for a driver to be included in Sun's Solaris distro, but
availability of h/w has no bearing on quality of source code.
As I see it, ON should allow source in that passes architecture and
peer code reviews. The distros should test, and if problems are found
CRs should be raised. Why should one distro vendor's testing gate
integration into the common source?

 Paul