> Yes; that's what the 'package history' mechanism is about in Solaris
> upgrades.
>
> It is more complicated than I suggested, and I think there's likely an
> RFE or two buried in here.
>
> In any event, it's not really why we use patches.  Patches represent
> an atomic change to objects in multiple packages at once.

The other issue that arises here is that a patch has a dependency tree also.
If I have a package that requires only a few small changes then a patch
makes sense. If I then make another release with a few more changes then we
have yet another patch. However these patches now depend on previous
editions of the patch. In order to get an upto date Apache we need the patch
"today" to include all the patch changes from previous patches in a
summative way ( if there is such a term ) and we need to be able to go from
a five year old Apache to todays Apache in one fell swoop with the grand
unified patch.

[ take a deep breath here ]

the complete removal of a package releases the user from any burden of
trackign patches at all.  The user simply does a pkg-get -u apache and then
the job is done.  Even if they are two years out of date.

Dennis Clarke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]