Dennis Clarke writes:
> So now we have some new binaries, some data files that have not changed,
> some binaries that are the same again.
>
> Patch or Package ?

It can be either.

> The current method we employ is to remove the whole collection and use the
> standards compliant SVR4 tools to achieve this.  Then install the new
> package entirely and then move on.
>
> The question on the table that needs to be looked at would be "is this
> optimal or even reasonable?"

Right.  I think a better strategy would be to deal with
instance=overwrite, but that does mean either contributing Install
fixes to allow automatic removal of abandoned files or something akin
to the upgrade-related package history file.

(I think having the ability to do something like "omitted=remove" in
the admin(4) file to mean "any files that were in the old pkgmap for
this package, but are omitted from the new pkgmap should be removed
from the system" would be helpful.)