Chung Hang Christopher Chan wrote:
Its a question of preference. Solaris is a far
superior OS in the
kernel etc. Userland it just isn't. Nexenta is a
really nice bridge
between the two. Frankly, if you need to get hot
around the collar
about this issue its alright.

What is so great about gnu userland? I come from Linux
so I notice that hitting page down in vi or less does
not get what I want or evening hitting the Up arrow
while in insert mode in vi is a problem but are these
really gnu advantages?

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com _______________________________________________

!SIG:4615aa6395443090019787!

Personally, the differences in user facing packages isn't a major issue to me. There are some options missing that I normally use in grep and tail, but overall I can work around them. The biggest issue in a gnu userland for me is the gnu toolchain. Time after time, I've tried to run a normal linux app on solaris and hit a major wall, having to change a makefile, code itself .... normally, it's such a pain that I give up and go back to linux where it was working in the beginning. Now, I understand that it's not solaris' fault but the developer's. Unfortunately, for me personally, and in a grand acceptance by the greater linux community ... being unable to simply compile apps on solaris is a major road block.