Rich Teer wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, John Weekley wrote:

Exactly. Sometimes, Blastwaves' packages have more dependencies than I care to
shake a stick at.  Here's the problem:  Blastwave maintainers tailor the
package dependencies to *their* requirements.  Not mine. This not meant to
disparage their work, as I frequently make use of Blastwave's packages, and
find them to be of excellent quality; but sometimes, there are dependencies
that don't fit into what I wish to accomplish.

I think that's a problem endemic to pretty much all pre-packaged software.
It's a tradeoff: a bit less flexibility vs convenience.  Most "uninitiated"
people prefer the latter but I personally prefer the former, which is why I
role my own packages for my own use, even though I recommend Blastwave to
people looking for pre-built stuff.

So a "cookbook" of package recipes would probably be a huge help to many people whose requirements are a little more specific than what's currently available. In the the long run, these recipes could allow newcomers to build packages and potentially, become maintainers themselves.