1. Documentation is a major pain in the ass to find. Outside of man pages and the occasional Sun engineer blog entry, there seems to be no decent documentation. In fact, most people admit that the "Solaris 10" books that are currently out, are simply Solaris 9 books with a new cover. How is a user who asks "is there a equivalent" supposed to actually find out if it exists?

Personally, I find docs.sun.com to be an outstanding source of documentation, especially on some very obscure technologies in Solaris.

Yes, there have been times when I wished that there were more examples, and when I wished that the search engine was better, but overall, docs.sun.com has top-notch content against which many other computer companies can measure themselves. The documentation is extremely well organized and structured. (docs.hp.com and techpubs.sgi.com are comparable in that regard.)

2. Ease of use .... Now, I know that most of you old school UNIX guys laugh at this, but usability is important. You've tuned me into a cool way to do something along the lines of USE flags in Solaris, but it sure sounds like it's not gonna be easy.

I guess the hardest part is getting the software to compile on Solaris. After that it's just a matter of providing the correct compile switches to Sun Studio compilers to generate corresponding Instruction Set Architecture optimized binaries.

But other than that, how hard can it be to do a `cp` of /usr/lib/isaexec to the name of the binary?

Using Ubuntu for an example, the reason it's become so popular so fast is not at all because it's superior. In fact, I can't stand quite a few things about it. It's become so popular so fast, because it's *EASY*. Without ease of use, no matter how awsome the feature set is, you're just gonna end up being the thing people use only when they absolutely have to.

Yes, but ease of use only works for desktop systems. Internet however isn't powered by desktops, it's powered by a massive, decentralized infrastructure, and is a very large number of businesses.

In practice, the convenience approach can only work so much, until the whole model collapses. It might work very well for a single desktop system, but after a certain people to systems ratio, the whole model can't support the needs of the user or users any more.

Ultimately, neither the "convenience administration" nor a single desktop system paradigm will be able to survive what will eventually come our way. The writing's on the wall. Desktop's days are numbered; it might take years, but it will come.