So what is the thrust of OpenSolaris if it is *not* at least partially to gain a share of the desktop market among technophobes, regardless of their age/gender? Why all the emphasis on JDS and Gnome? For serious commerce or business on big machines who needs or even wants a browser client or even a desktop? CDE is sufficient (I even like it) as is for Solaris where SMC is used. SXCR/SXDE eventually will produce OpenSolaris 'releases' as has been hashed in this forum lately. Then it does want to address painlessness. So start now.

Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
I really don't get why you think OpenSolaris (esp. as in Solaris Express,
as opposed to regular Solaris (currently 10)) should have any particular
gee-whiz-updates-are-painless tools.  Solaris Express is _not_ really
meant for production (or for anybody's technophobe grandmother, either),
it's very early access; especially SXCR. If you're using Solaris Express, you're
essentially a beta tester (or perhaps a developer trying to have your stuff
ready to take full advantage of Solaris 11 when it finally is released), which
means you're voluntarily accepting extra pain to be close to the bleeding edge.
Now, since Solaris tries to be fairly stable even during what used to be
internal (and is now public) development, SXCR is usually quite usable,
and once installed (and aside from updates), has a lot of goodies that
Solaris 10 doesn't; so there are certainly people already familiar with
Solaris that use it in production or at home.  But I don't know that SX is
actually meant to convert large numbers of Linux apps developers to
Solaris lovers, so I don't see why you seem to be measuring its success by
some ability to be painless to that crowd.  Indeed, if I were trying to
take some existing {Linux, BSD} app that I supported to Solaris, I'd target
not SX, but the oldest Solaris distro in widespread use (not unlike what

<snip>
--
Jerry Sutton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]