Joerg Schilling writes:
> Lucky Forumer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone, I need to compile some CGI programs for a web server running
> > Sun Solaris 10 (it identifies itself as "SunOS webserv 5.10
> > Generic_125101-02 i86pc") and I really don't want to repartition my HD to
> > add yet another OS just for doing these builds. I was wondering if Belenix
> > or SchilliX would work. I noticed SchilliX is based on "Nevada" Solaris 11,
> > would a binary compiled be backwards-compatible with Solaris 10?
>
> If you compile on schillix, the binaries work on Sun Solaris.
> I cannot speak for other distros.

I thought that SchilliX was based on Nevada.  If so, then objects
compiled there are *not* guaranteed to work on Sun Solaris 10.  There
is currently no released Sun Solaris product that corresponds to 11 --
Nevada is still under development.

If you compile on any version of Solaris, and your application
conforms to the ABI, then Sun guarantees that it'll work on future
versions of Solaris.  See (among other links for other Solaris
versions):

  http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/programs/abi/sag.xml

The implication is that you should compile on the oldest version of
Solaris that you want to support.

The reverse is *not* true.  You cannot compile on a new version of
Solaris and expect the application to work on an old one.  It may, if
the interfaces haven't changed, but it also might not, and there's no
guarantee.