> With respect to OpenSolaris, cdrtools/cdrecord is
the engine we
prefer to invest
> in. Missing features (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, LightScribe,
Thingmabob...)
should be
> added to cdrtools, hopefully with the help from the
community. The
basic GUI we

HD-DVD drives are not yet available.
If I get a Blu-Ray drive, cdrecord will support
Blu-Ray soon.

Lightscribe is a poblem, the initiators do not send me
the needed
information.

Jörg
-----------------

You have a point which many developers face and that
is having the specs as well as the hardware.

The next level is having the "Sun" workstations having
the available hardware as well (by Sun Store and
other). This makes HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives available to
users of Sun workstations. I think having the
Sony/Toshiba drives would be worth the initial
investment, but any IHV can match specs.

We had a discussion about the various tools before and
I ran across this company which may be of interest:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/gearprounix.cfm

"GEAR PRO UNIX supports a wide range of IDE, USB and
(SCSI) recorders for DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW/DVD-RAM,
CD-R(W). GEAR's newest UNIX release offers both single
and double-layer (DL) media support, along with the
ability to master images for DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-18."

Ken Mays
EarthLink, Inc.