ken mays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HD-DVD drives are not yet available.
> If I get a Blu-Ray drive, cdrecord will support
> Blu-Ray soon.

BTW: I did read on the net that if you call:

cdrecord driveropts=burnproof driver=mmc_dvdplusrw -force

cdrecord will already write Blu Ray...

> Lightscribe is a poblem, the initiators do not send me
> the needed
> information.
>

> Jörg
> -----------------
>
> You have a point which many developers face and that
> is having the specs as well as the hardware.

Sorry, I do not understand.

I spend a lot of time in order to stay in contact to manufacturers.
Due to the fact of repartitioning the market by new manufacturers
in the past few years, only contacts to Optiarc and Pioneer are left over.

> The next level is having the "Sun" workstations having
> the available hardware as well (by Sun Store and
> other). This makes HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives available to
> users of Sun workstations. I think having the
> Sony/Toshiba drives would be worth the initial
> investment, but any IHV can match specs.

Sony and Toshiba do not cooperate.

I did hear that TSST (Toshiba Samsung) may be a good idea for
Blu ray now....

> We had a discussion about the various tools before and
> I ran across this company which may be of interest:
>
> http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/gearprounix.cfm
>
> "GEAR PRO UNIX supports a wide range of IDE, USB and

Why did you mention this company?

They did go bankrupt around 1998 after their former customers did
realize that there is cdrecord that runs on any OS and it is free.
I did hear that they still charge their customers 200,000 US $ per year
for a permission to use their software.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)