For some tasks, GUIs can be useful.  Maybe even for most tasks, _if_
they can serve at least three levels of users (novice, intermediate, expert)
equally well, can (as AIX's "smit") optionally show command-line equivalents,
can log sessions (to do postmortem on how the user screwed up), and can
capture command-line equivalents (to use the GUI to generate scripts, with
possible use of a "wizard" to aid in parameterizing them), and preferably,
in expert mode, offer access to all the options that the command line
version would have.

I have yet to see any GUI that really does the above, although otherwise
hideous AIX's rather nice "smit" tries hard. I suspect some of that comes
from IBM's experience with text-based forms type interfaces (like
mainframe ISPF), where one really has to think through the interface, as
contrasted to someone with limited human factors knowledge
(which I don't pretend to have, as I spend far more time with computers than
humans :-( ) using a GUI builder to whip out something pretty and easy for
low-end users as quickly as possible.

However, IMO a command-line form should always exist, and exist first, because
that's the simplest case (in terms of development) of exposing the
functionality, and because one can use a command over a 1200 baud serial line
or in other very reduced circumstances, like partial failures.