On 4/28/07, MC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd like to see Sun create a group to maintain debian-like packages and
create a frontend and a backend similar to Ubuntu

I agree, that much is obvious.  But the fact that such an obvious solution
doesn't exist yet concerns me -- maybe it isn't as obvious to some people?

This is a comment on Solaris, not Blastwave:

Frankly I don't even know what Blastwave is.  It certainly isn't part of
OpenSolaris,
because I definitely didn't see it in there.

Neither did anyone else.  It was formed long before Solaris would ever
be open. In fact, back in 2002 if you suggested that Solaris be open
source you would be looked at like you were a fish.  Solaris on x86
was dead or gasping. You couldn't get anyone to listen to you even
suggest Solaris on x86. Crazy? Even more insane would be for a pile of
long time community people to get together and just "do it" in order
to move forwards and ensure that there was open source software for
both x86 *and* Sparc equally.  So, years go by and here we are with
Solaris becoming Open Solaris and branded as OpenSolaris and
trademarked and protected and funded to the hilt with all that jazz
etc etc etc.

So .. its sort of like Microsoft starting to do "open source" long
after a pile of people did their own project that started years
before. Then someone shows up, years late, and asks "why are you
Microsoft people not fixing this?" when it has nothing to do with
them.

confused ?

don't be.

Its called free software, like free beer, you can have it and you can
make it and you can share it and you can get it.  Its just a question
of "where" you go to get it.

Does any of that make sense ?

As for package management, well there are the System V ( 5 ) Release 4
specs and the very very standardized processes in Solaris that have
worked for a very long time before Linux came along. Forget RPM
packages and apt-get and other magic solutions because they did not
exist when the package tools in Solaris were working.  Well, I may be
wrong. I may be slightly off on that but one thing is a fact, the
processes in Solaris work really really well and all that is needed is
some tools over top of them to make them a little better.  Heck, maybe
even fun to use.

Dennis