Hi,

I've multiple questions about multimedia stuff on
Solaris.

1) How's video performance? I've yet to get VLC or
Xine to build
correctly, so my current tests are limited to the
Flash 9 beta with YouTube.

--> You can use alternatives. The Xorg developers can
assist you in which Alan Coopersmith is the resident
expert on the Sun integration work on Xorg. Over at
Blastwave, Xine and VLC exist for testing purposes.

2) Audio! From all I could find, there's only SADA,
and any initiatives
considered of upping the audio subsystem seem to have
been abandoned.
What are the plans in getting a rather modern
subsystem, that can handle
multiple input and outputs, multichannel and whatever
else? ... What are Solaris' plans?

---> The audio framework is usually OSS (4Front OSS
v4.0 Build 1002+) and GStreamer. Outside of the open
source market, you may try commercial solutions - but
it seems Gstreamer is picking up momentum as well as
OSS.

Ken Mays
EarthLink / Blastwave.org