On 5/10/07, Michal Pryc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I would like to announce a new project called JPack, which will provide
>> a GUI application for managing different types of packages for Solaris
>> Operating System.
>>
>> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/jds/tasks/jpack/
> Interesting! The focus is rather different, but there's some
> overlap with what I've been hacking into solview recently:
>
> http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/solview.html
>
> when I get onto a real computer I'll definitely have a play with it.

Definitely in the prototype stage, but has some interesting
features. Some detailed comments:

I don't like the way it strips the SUNW prefix off the package
names. This makes it very hard to see what's actually
going on.

Checking gid=0 from the output of id isn't necessarily
accurate as a check of whether the user can install
packages.

The counts of files in a package aren't accurate; I see
you're pulling them from the pspool files (as, presumably,
you are for some of the other data). That doesn't work at
all in zones, and the pkgmap files aren't an accurate
list of what's installed - you really have to parse the contents
file for that.

The JPack project will provide GUI for underlying packaging systems, so
in the future if (maybe) packaging on Solaris will change, users will
still be able to use easy JPack GUI for installing apps and solview is
only for viewing Solaris ones.

At the moment, anyway. I was planning on adding elements of actual
package manipulation eventually. Seems wasteful for us both to do
it independently!

I would be happy to help out, or you could just lift bits of solview.

--
-Peter Tribble