Michal Pryc wrote:
Hello,

I would like to announce a new project called JPack, which will provide
a GUI application for managing different types of packages for Solaris
Operating System.

for more information:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/jds/tasks/jpack/

and

http://blogs.sun.com/migi/entry/jpack_install_your_software_easily

Please let me know what do you think about it.

This looks great to me.
I also like the idea of plugins for other package systems (such as sunfreeware).

Some of my ideas for improvement are:

CSW packages. If I want to install, can it scan the web to list available packages. Then this is the big one, for its dependencies can it scan all available libraries and place a link in CSW lib to location of an alternate dependency.

Maybe this can be a good start to alleviate the dependency nightmare.

Maybe there can be a search engine, so I can search for a particular package and it would search all available package repositories, including source and from plugins then give me a choice how and where I would like to install it.

Also what would be a nice feature is if a package is missing a dependency or a package is corrupt an explanation point in a yellow triangle would appear next to the package to indicate it is in need of repair (prodreg does this with corrupt packages).

I noticed at the bottom it says "You are not root, you cannot add/delete packages" Maybe you can add a password manager like in Firefox to automatically add login, or a setup for sudo, or just a plain login to root.

Paul