Does zfs/zpool support the layered driver interface?

I wrote a layered driver with a ramdisk device as the underlying device, and
successfully got a  UFS file system on the ramdisk to boot via the layered
device.

I am trying to do the same with a ZFS file system. However, since ZFS file
systems are created as datasets within a storage pool and not directly on a
specified underlying device, I can't think how I will get a ZFS file system to
mount using a layered driver atop a real device.

I tried specifying the layered device as the storage pool component for 'zpool
create', but that gave me an "invalid argument for this pool operation" error.
I also tried setting the mountpoint for a zfs filesystem as 'legacy' and doing
a regular mount with the layered device, but that gave me an "invalid dataset"
error.

I looked through the documentation for zfs/zpool and searched extensively, but
haven't been able to figure this one out yet.
I am a newbie to ZFS, so pardon me if this is something trivial.

Can someone point me to possible method to achieve the above?