> How does switching to Linux help here?
>
> - Does any of the Linux installations come with a pre-installed
>   3D accelerated graphics?

Sabayon Linux. It's gentoo based, stable enough. Has preinstalled
ATI/Nvidia and Intel drivers.
> - What happened again if you installed such a driver and tried to
>   upgrade X/the kernel/etc?

The gentoo package manager emerge takes care of that
> At least Solaris provides a working, accelerated nVidia driver
> out of the box, regardless of upgrades to the OS (stable kernel
> interfaces) or X (no stable interfaces, requires a working
> relationship with the vendor)

Sabayon Linux provides out of box Beryl/Compiz with AIGLX/XGL (you can
even choose between acclerated/normal desktop using a simple GUI app)
It is a live DVD with all mulitmedia codecs and drivers. (My HP nx6325's
wirelss provides out the box!)

I also wish to stress that these comments be seen in a positive way.
I am not bitching about OpenSolaris.
I am just saying that, we can do all this with opensolaris as well.

I would request you to have a look at Sabayon Linux.

Thanks
Manish
begin:vcard
fn:Manish Chakravarty
n:Chakravarty;Manish
org:SpikeSource Inc;Solution Engineering
adr:;;;Bangalore;Karnataka;56008;India
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Associate Software Developer
tel;work:+91-8041810800