This really sounds to me like a project, not a community.

    -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Isaac R. wrote:

This is a draft proposal to create a new OpenSolaris community focusing on the subject of Chargeback.
It would thus be entitled "Chargeback".

The scope of the community would be to foster collaboration and funnel efforts into creation of tools, processes and operational procedures for enabling IT organizations in their attempts
at getting fact-based utilization data of their Solaris servers.

Though various facilities exist in Solaris (and have existed as previously purchaseable commercial products), there has always been a gap in terms of presenting gathered data in an executive-style reporting
framework.

I had written a tool that did this for Solaris 7 and Solaris 8, leveraging data provided through the Fair Share Scheduler (SHR) made available by an add-on product (Solaris Resource Manager). While I am in the process of porting the tool to take advantage of Solaris 10 Zones, I realize there are people out there re-inventing the wheel and building their own toolsets. Such would be the
desired participants in this community.
With respect to code contributions and software projects, it is my sincere hope that as code gets shared we can kick off an OpenSolaris "Chargeback" project that would essentially provide tools that would allow customers to answer the question of cost analysis from the Operating System point of view.

Clearly, Chargeback has to take into account real-estate costs, electricity costs, general datacenter costs, "man hours", SysAdmin hours, hardware acquisition costs, licensing costs (just to name a few).

This becomes increasingly important as virtualization initiatives
are kicked off amongst various customers given various innovations in operating systems (scheduling classes, virtualization technologies, processor affinity technologies) and processor architectures (multi-core, multi-thread, CMT).

I would volunteer to act as an initial leader here, and as an initial code contributor to the OpenSolaris Chargeback Project.

Thanks and regards,
Isaac