On 19/05/07, Daniel Rock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hugh McIntyre schrieb:
> You can use (n)awk in the case above.  For example, what happens with
> "cut" in the case above if a future project allows usernames >8
> characters?  But granted that some people will have scripts that use
> "cut", so it's hard to change.

Compatible formatting if stdout is not a terminal.
Optimized formatting if stdout is a terminal.

Which would be really annoying to me as a user.

I would go to look at the output, think "I'll just pipe that to such
and such command" and then wonder why my parsing wasn't working...

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/