All;

Solaris used to have two separate instances of executable binaries (e.g. ifconfig, sh etc). One instance in /usr/sbin and another separate instance in /sbin

The /sbin executables were statically linked and were not dependent on libraries found in /usr/lib or /lib

sh or Bourne shell was one such executable. It was statically linked and hence ideal for use during the boot up process. Although this required that it occupied a larger memory footprint, it also meant that less could go wrong during the complex boot up process or during a run level script run.

One possible scenario the above avoided was an accidental corruption of dependent dynamic linked libraries. If any of the libraries were corrupted or accidentally deleted, the system would still boot using the static linked Bourne shell and /sbin executables.

At least the above was the original rationale.

Thus the previous rationale for a root shell to stay as the Borne shell was simple. Less dependencies, less could go wrong (during boot up).

Now it seems the critical binaries in /sbin are also dynamically linked.

Perhaps Casper Dik could state the rationale behind this change of policy. I am very curious indeed.

Curiously, the change in policy gives yet another reason why /usr should not be a separate file system. (Another hot and religious topic. I am a very strong advocate of /usr being inside root)

Another reason not to use BASH as the root shell would be that there is no RBAC profile BASH shell. There are profile shells for sh (actually a simple soft link), ksh and csh but none for BASH.

BASH also occupies more memory. But to each his or her own. I have nothing against people using BASH. I just don't recommend it as a root shell.

Please don't BASH me ok? Otherwise BASH advocates would gain a rather violent reputation......

Warmest Regards
Steven Sim

Gerard Nualla wrote:
I would like to use BASH because it is easier to navigate (wherein you could
just press the TAB key to autocomplete stuff).. I am using my machine as a
development workstation, so I would like to be very comfortable with it... :D

Fujitsu Asia Pte. Ltd.

This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.