>> Any other ideas? I'm open to everything! I love the
>> Java interface, but
>> can't use it without a backspace key.
>
>Change the following in /kernel/drv/options.conf:
>
>ttymodes="2502:1805:bd:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:0:0:11:13:1a:19:12:f:17:16";
>
>See the :7f:?

Options.conf is not used as much as some people might think :-)

>Change it to 8 (the ASCII code for [BACKSPACE]). Reboot.
>
>This should be filed as an RFE. Casper?

Why? Delete is the proper key to use for doing a step back; this
ain't PC land where they confused DEL (destructive) and Backspace
(non destructive) with Backspace (delete left) and DEL (delete under).
I *never* want to delete what is to the right of the cursor.

I think this should be solved with "ubiquitous commandline editing";
not randomly changing a default which may upset some.

(Just to spite the world I make a point of remapping Del and Backspace
on my keyboards)

All tools with a command line should support command line editing.

And the whole DEL/Backspace thing is just a commandline editing thing and
those can just make DEL and Backspace do the same thing.

Of course, the UNIX tty disciplines are broken in that you'd rather
have a mapping of each character to a specific function and not
a list of special functions with associated characters.

Casper