Dennis Clarke wrote:
I was shocked to see that my old old trusty HP Kayak XU tower was finally
at a point where it can not install Solaris. I have run Solaris 8 and 9
and 10 on it for years and years. It has two DVD burners and three SCSI
controllers, terribly simple graphics and no sound.  It just works.[1]

I burned the snv_64a DVD and discovered that the 512MB of RAM was no
longer reasonable for the installer.

I'm shocked.

Am I to understand that the x86 miniroot on there will fill up all of my
RAM and still need more?  Gee.  Time for a new machine I guess but this
one won't die and it runs Solaris 10 just fine.

So then, whats the minimal system spec that Solaris 11 is shooting for?

I'll guess 1GB RAM, 18GB of disk, 100Mb/sec ethernet and a 1GHz proc.

As has been repeatedly discussed here, the current memory requirements of the developer release installer are an artifact of its hurried
implementation (eg 2 jvms).  This will not continue to be the case.

I think you'll find the system to be quite usable w/ 512MB, but
heavy users will want more to prevent paging...

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts