Alan Burlison wrote:

Steve Lau has explained this very clearly, perhaps there should be a link to his diagram on the download page...

http://whacked.net/2007/02/13/opensolarissolaris-relationships/

The way I see it, is all the distributions have their own theme.

SXCE -> SXDE -> S11 is Suns theme, their installer, Gnome and CDE

Nexenta, their theme is GNU

and so on.

The OpenSolaris reference binary can be what everybody says is needed. People gripe about the desktop, they want KDE and XFCE. Why couldn't these be part of the distribution? The only catch is any binary added should be from an OpenSolaris project or source. It would be great to get Blastwave as an OpenSolaris Project so all the dependencies would be consolidated.

I see this as being good, if mostly everyone cooperates.

Paul