> > But the question of multimedia codecs has already
> > been answered, and the answer isn't the command
> line
> > interface.  The real answer is "include by default
> > all the desirable codecs you can, and then make it
> > easy to install any leftovers from your app
> > installation GUI".  That standard has recently
> been
> > set by Ubuntu and a handful of other Linux
> distros.
>
> You're exactly right.  Solaris also has a similar
> approach, & it's provided by blastwave.org.  Though
> there is no GUI installer yet.

So What's your problem then?

Wayne?

One post earlier you think one-line CLI command is "PERFECT." Now you feel
"EXACTLY RIGHT" about including by default all the desirable codec.

And since you ENVISION Solaris to be an enterprise OS and Sun should pay its
engineers to focus things more "IMPORTANT," why do you have gripes with
"garbled" date format string in JDS running in zh_CN locale?

By the way, in case you haven't noticed that blastwave is NOT a default
component in Solaris, not to mention SX or other OpenSolaris.org based distros.

And last time I checked, Blastwave does not provide packages for SunOS 5.11,
the install script checks agains 5.8, 5.9 and 5.10, and blastwave choose to
carry independent GNOME libraries to minimize platform dependency, however, in
the case of neveda codebase, these libraries become redundant.

I don't know about YOU, but I've been with Solaris since 2.5.1, earlier it's
SunOS 4.1.3, and using it as my desktop since Solaris 2.6, I still remember old
days to build X.Org or XFree86 to replace XSun for white brand PC in school
lab. SX indeed improves hugely, it could still be better, or you don't think so?

Before you say "nothing can be easier than one-line command," why don't you
consider Solaris could provide better, more integrated user experience?

Ivan.