> Am 28.06.2007 13:08, Peter Howkins schrieb:
> > Girts,
> >  this may be of interest to you. I've recently been
> in discussion with the Open Group about releasing CDE
> and Motif under a fully open license. TOG have been
> quite positive about the idea, but there are still
> some sticking points.
>
> for what? That's 10+ years too late ;-)

Too late for CDE to compete with GNOME or KDE?  Probably.
Too late to still be useful to those that presently use CDE?
Maybe not.  There's at least one utility I've written that could
be simplified if I had access to source for libDtSvc.so.1, and
one or two more that I'd like to write.  Think of any magic
communication that occurs between dtstyle and dtwm or dtsession
to get the general idea, or see
ftp://smarty.smart.net/pub/rlhamil/goodies/dtwmcmd.c
for the one example that I know some other people also use.

Also, even for existing users of CDE, it would be freakin' great to
be able to update dtksh (which is pretty cool) to be based on _current_
ksh93 rather than the defective version it's based on now.

The ability to independently maintain CDE without having megabucks
will probably keep it alive, and may even be enough to restore it
to competitiveness (although there are those that would argue otherwise,
given at least that Motif doesn't work natively on Windows or MacOS X).

Of source, some would probably argue for ideological reasons (usually
suspect by nature)  or for that latter point (which I half disagree
with, given that free X servers exist for both Windows and MacOS X), that
it would be better if CDE died so it got out of the way.  Never mind that
such an attitude is necessarily hypocritical insofar as it takes a living mind
to hold it; I don't see many folks that would argue to restrict freedom
(even freedom granted too late!) that are volunteering to _peacefully_
off themselves to make room for the rest of us (or for the sake of the
environment, or whatever their excuse is).

Now, the finite resources argument I recognize.  But if CDE were open,
as long as (as I think alanc said once, it wasn't _just_ "thrown over
the wall" as happened with xview way back when), I don't think that
argument would so much apply, insofar as other folks could at least  deal
with bug fixes, dtksh updating, etc.