Krister Joas wrote:
On Jun 29, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Dirk Wetter wrote:

Am 28.06.2007 13:08, Peter Howkins schrieb:
Girts,
this may be of interest to you. I've recently been in discussion with the Open Group about releasing CDE and Motif under a fully open license. TOG have been quite positive about the idea, but there are still some sticking points.

for what? That's 10+ years too late ;-)

Perhaps, but during those ten years GNOME is still way behind CDE in terms of performance. For example, switching between virtual desktops in GNOME is abysmally slow. On a 500 MHz SunBlade 100 running CDE switching between virtual desktop is almost instantaneous. Doing the same on a 2GHz AMD box running GNOME I have to endure watching each and every window getting redrawn one by one. It's a joke.

Looks like you have a problem. GNOME is not this bad, no way! Have you tried CDE
  on the same machine ?  What is your display card ?

Regards,
Moinak.