On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:40 PM, Moinak Ghosh wrote:

Krister Joas wrote:
On Jun 29, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Dirk Wetter wrote:

Am 28.06.2007 13:08, Peter Howkins schrieb:
Girts,
this may be of interest to you. I've recently been in discussion with the Open Group about releasing CDE and Motif under a fully open license. TOG have been quite positive about the idea, but there are still some sticking points.

for what? That's 10+ years too late ;-)

Perhaps, but during those ten years GNOME is still way behind CDE in terms of performance. For example, switching between virtual desktops in GNOME is abysmally slow. On a 500 MHz SunBlade 100 running CDE switching between virtual desktop is almost instantaneous. Doing the same on a 2GHz AMD box running GNOME I have to endure watching each and every window getting redrawn one by one. It's a joke.

Looks like you have a problem. GNOME is not this bad, no way! Have you tried CDE
  on the same machine ?  What is your display card ?

Let me summarise my experience so far.

Sun Blade 100, built in video
        CDE is slow but usable
        JDS is atrocious, completely unusable

White box, AMD 2GHz, generic NVidia video card (GeForce 6200)
        CDE works great
JDS is noticeably slow to a point where I can see the windows getting redrawn but I admit it was not as bad as I remembered it

Sun Ultra 20, Sun Quadro NVS 285 video card
        CDE works great
        JDS works great

Sun Blade 2000, XVR-100
        CDE works great
        JDS painfully slow, almost unusable

It indeed looks like a good video card is necessary but I think that proves my point. On identical hardware CDE tends to be a lot faster unless the hardware provides enough headroom. The most striking difference, a difference that is clearly visible when using slower hardware like Sun Blade 100, is the way windows are redrawn after switching desktops. In CDE, all windows disappear together and the windows of the next virtual desktop appears in unison . In JDS windows disappear one by one and then the windows of the new desktop appear one by one.

One possibility could be that JDS tends to have a busier background, i.e. not optimised for minimum use of resources, where the background in CDE is made up of ideally sized bitmaps. That could also explain why it takes a noticeable amount of time when closing a window in JDS before it actually disappears. In CDE the window disappears instantly. It might be possible to tweak JDS to be faster by choosing a less resource hungry theme.

It's hard to describe my observations in words but the net result is that JDS feels slow on the same hardware compared to CDE. It also doesn't help that gnome-terminal is slow as a dog compared to xterm...

Krister