Hi,

On 07/04/07 21:56, Andrew Watkins wrote:
> I know you may think it is a silly question, but I am unable to find the
> answer.
> OK! We know Sun SPARC chips all run 64 bit OpenSolaris, but which AMD and
> Intel cpu can run it as well:

The OpenSolaris source only supports a 64-bit sparc kernel - support for
running a 32-bit kernel on sparc was ripped out a while back.  You can,
of course, still run 32-bit and 64-bit apps on top of the 64-bit kernel.

>  - AMD Opteron run 64bit kernel

Can boot either 32-bit or 64-bit kernel

>  - Intel Xeon run 64bit kernel

It depends on which Xeon model you have in mind ... see below.

> but what about:
>
>  - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
>  - AMD Athlon™ 64

Yes, can boot 64-bit.  The Opteron and Athlon 64 and Turion 64 families
are all built around the same processor architecture - they're realy
just packaging and additional frills for the particular market segment
they're aimed at (server and high-end desktop for Opteron; home desktop
for Athlon 64; mobile for Turion 64).

>  - intel Pentium 4

Newer Pentium 4 generations; not the older ones.

>  - intel Core 2 Due

Yes.

Download the "Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual"
volume 1, order number 253665-023US of May 2007 from the intel website.
Chapter 1 has section 1.1 which discusses the Intel 64 and IA-32 processors
described by the manual;  those that support the "Intel 64" architecture
can run OpenSolaris distributions both 32- and 64-bit.  The naming
is not at all confusing, but section 1.1 gives a nice summary of
which recent processors are IA-32 and which support Intel 64.

Gavin