Dennis Clarke wrote:
> Nothing can replace batteries.  The more the better.
> Most power solutions should grant at *least* 30 minutes on battery and if
> not then I would not host my gear there.  I just finished installing a 45
> minute battery runtime solution with 16,000 VA of power.  It is not that
> costly really to stick in an APC Symmetra SY16K unit when one looks at the
> cost of downtime.

Most datacenters consume a *lot* of power.  Just how many lead-acid
batteries can you fit in one building?  (There are probably safety and
weight issues, plus density problems if every other rack in your
datacenter is a UPS).

And in any case, an outage can just as easily last an hour or more as it
can last a few minutes.  So the usual plan is that the UPS only needs to
last long enough for the generator to kick in, e.g. 5-10 minutes.

I've also seen people use flywheels for short term power, but again
there's only so large a flywheel the authorities will let you install.

Hugh.

PS: at an Indian office of the company I work for, we recently managed
to have a backup generator last for 2-3 days via continuous refueling
because of the failure and wait-for-replacement of a step down
transformer.  I doubt you could have had enough batteries for this...