On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:46 -0700, John Martinez wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2007, at 12:49 PM, andrewk9 wrote:
>
> > I agree entirely with this post. My thoughts:
> >
> > 1. We in the community should not be expecting Sun to be
> addressing
> > all of the shortcomings in OpenSolaris. The community needs to be
> > involved in a meaningful way in improving it. A first step to
> > improving collaboration might be to add a wiki to OpenSolaris.org .
> >
> > 2. Sun's lack of presence in the consumer market (as distinct from
> > the business market) is one of the reasons Solaris is not as user
> > friendly as alternatives (as a Windows user, naturally Windows
> > springs to my mind here). One way of improving usability might be
> > to create a distro focussed solely on the consumer space, where we
> > can pretty much assume that the user has no previous technical
> > knowledge at all.
> >
> > 3. Your point about command line versus GUI is an excellent point.
> > In my view, this is the single biggest shortcoming of most Unix-
> > based operating systems (OS-X excepted). One way to improve this
> in
> > Solaris would be to develop GUI equivalents to all of those really
> > useful command line tools we use to administer (Open)Solaris.
>
> I think a lot of people keep missing the point that Solaris' bread
> and butter is the enterprise server market. I don't know what the
> ratio of server to desktop installations is, but I'd guess that it's
> very tilted in one direction. Solaris shines on the server. Solaris
> can shine on the desktop, but that isn't its main focus.
>
> Solaris would have to break into a very crowded market and make a
> better GUI.
>
> Competition:
>
> Microsoft
> Apple
> Ubuntu
> SuSE
> others?
>
> You'd have to convince Sun that the desktop market is as, or more
> important than the server market that makes them their revenues.
>
> I love my Macs, but I'd rather have Solaris when I launch the
> Terminal application...

Question: if Solaris runs on a server but is accessed by end users on a
Sun Ray - is it a desktop operating system for the end user?

Thats what annoys me, people who throw in the towel, throw up their
hands as if to say, "I give up!" when it comes to Solaris on the
desktop.

The desktop isn't one big giant monolythic beast.

Matthew