On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:

[ ... ]
> You may quote other people's work _without_ ever asking them for permission
> in case
> this is needed for your work and as long as your work has enough own
> "creation level"
> to make it a separate work.

That might or might not be correct given the gritty details where the
legislation in different countries is different.

Though in the end, it doesn't matter. You may be allowed to do that, fully
within your rights.
But that's not the point. It doesn't actually help either of:

        - integrate a Linux ZFS with 'Linux mainstream'.
        - maintain a Linux ZFS when Linux changes ... yet again.
        - find co-workers who will help with coding/maintenance.

It doesn't encourage cooperation. And even if there were a e.g. a WTO
decision that the so-called 'linking clause' of the GPL is null and void,
and several high court rulings worldwide confirming so, it wouldn't stop
people who _like_ to think it's valid from adopting a stance that no
matter what, they'll use all means they can to obstruct those who do not
agree with them.
Several Linux kernel developers have openly stated so. Or, on a different
end, the Debian "Free Software Guidelines" are way more restrictive than
the GPL.
It's a political agenda, not a question of what's legally/technically
possible. Linux developers don't _want_ non-GPL code in the kernel, and
unless you have a significant tendency towards masochism (or are well-paid
to do it) and are willing to update your port chain whenever compatibility
with your module is deliberately broken next (greetings to Ati/Nvidia),
you'd better not try or else you'll regret the continuous waste of effort.

Personally, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, definitely
long-term. But then, this talk about how to get code from OpenSolaris into
Linux is somewhat off-topic; back in usenet days, I'd have pointed you
towards comp.unix.advocacy :)

FrankH.