> Ok ,I was able to set my path correctly with your
> directions.However I have installed gcc under usr/bin
> which was definitely in the original path,and in
> opt/csw/bin via blastwave and when I do a which gcc
> it says that it's not found under usr/bin or usr/sbin
> so I don't know what else to look for...

Please avoid installing any 3rd party software, including your own, under /usr.
That directory is for the OS vendor / distro maintainer and is off limits for
anything else.
Using /usr can cause all kinds of nasty problems down the road. My favorite
example is sparse zones (virtual servers): if one installs stuff under /usr in
the global zone, those packages cannot be installed in sparse zones simply
because a sparse zone is loopback-mounted from the global zone. Major headache.
And if you just stuck "some stuff" under /usr, think about how you will remove
it or upgrade it? You won't because unless it came onto the system as a
package, who knows where junk is laying around; but even if it's a package, you
have problem #1.

On a System V UNIX, such as Solaris, /opt is reserved for 3rd party and for
unbundled applications; that's where stuff is supposed to go. /var/opt is where
the 3rd party application data goes, and /etc/opt is where the 3rd party
application's configuration files go.

Apropos GCC, GCC comes bundled with Solaris; it's in /usr/sfw/bin/, so you
didn't have to install it at all.

As far as bash goes, I warmly recommend you read through the man page of `tcsh`.