> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 17:27 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Strangly .. basic applications fail to launch.
>>
>> For example, I wanted to see what happens when I insert a Microsoft
>> Windows
>> Vista Business Edition DVD into my machine. I would expect that it
>> would be
>> automatically mounted but I was wrong .. snv_70 mounted the DVD as a
>> HSFS
>> filesystem which it is not. It is actually UDFS and there is a small
>> readme
>> on the DVD to that effect. I attempted to read that README ... and ..
>> nada
>> ..just a core file :
>>
>> When I insert the DVD I see this :
>>
>>     http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/snv_70_000.png
>>
>> then when I double click on the README file I see this :
>>
>>     http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/snv_70_001.png
>>
>> if I click on Display I get nothing but an hour glass and then ...
>> nothing.
>>
>> I get a core file :
>>
>> $ file core
>> core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file 80386 Version 1, from 'gnome_segv2'
>>
>> $ rm core
>>
>> In fact, at this point I try to open a terminal or any other sort of
>> application and all I get is an hour glass and then a new core file.
>>
>> $ file core
>> core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file 80386 Version 1, from 'gnome_segv2'
>>
>> If I try to use gimp ... I get even more oddity :
>>
>>  $ /bin/gimp
>> This is a development version of GIMP.  Debug messages may appear
>> here.
>>
>> /bin/gimp: fatal error: Segmentation Fault
>> /bin/gimp (pid:12317): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or
>> [P]roceed: P
>>
>> I can use the gimp 2.2.12 from Blastwave as well as SeaMonkey 1.1.4
>> but I
>> can not start a terminal or gimp or much of anything now with snv_70.
>>
>>     http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/snv_70_002.png
>>
>> I feel like I installed SeaMonkey and then ran into some strange
>> conflict.
>>
>> This all began because someone had filed and email to the Blastwave
>> users
>> maillist that described some font problems with evince but I can not
>> reproduce the problem here. I get a perfect looking document with the
>> provided evince in snv_70 :
>>
>>    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/evince_081.png
>>
>> as well as version 0.9.0 from Blastwave
>>
>>    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/evince_090.png
>>
>> from there on in .. things get weird as I try to open up new
>> applications.
>
> Everything is working nicely here - mind you, I did a clean install.

me too

at this point .. not much is working and I suspect a rat in there somewhere.
I can not do the most simple things like open a terminal. Nothing seems to
start and I don't want ot shut down my current working apps which consists
of a browser and two xterms.

I did manage to mount the Microsoft Vista DVD as a UDF filesystem just for a
lark :  http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/snv_70_003.png

but nothing here is working very well ... I better get that Microsoft DVD
out of there! I was hoping to install it under QEMU but at this point I
think that is just not going to happen.

I may just go back to square zero and reinstall.

Dennis